The Kosciuszko Foundation acquired the National Polish Center in January 2010. Formerly known as The American Center of Polish Culture, it was conceived in 1985 at a convention of the American Council for Polish Culture, Inc. to serve as a home for Polonia in the nation's capital. Al and Patricia Koproski of Connecticut led the fundraising effort and, in 1988 the American Center of Polish Culture, Inc. was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization.
Generous contributions by the Koproskis triggered other donations to buy and renovate the 1895 townhouse at 2025 "O" Street in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC. The Center opened in 1992 as the American Center of Polish Culture to become the first and only home for Polonia in Washington.
The building on O street continues to host art exhibits, lectures, discussion groups, evenings of music, book signings, and educational programs for children and adults. In 2007-2008, it participated in "An Imaginary Flight to Poland" educational program in cooperation with the Polish Embassy. This program taught children enrolled at Washington, DC's Ann Beers Elementary School about Polish history, culture, language, music and dancing. The program was so well organized that the Embassy actually took the students in the program on a trip to Poland in the summer of 2008.
The Polish center organized dinners and events to honor individuals of Polish heritage who have made significant contributions to the United States and Poland, honoring, among others, Dr. Zbigniew Brzezinski, General Alexander Haig, WWII heroes Jan Karski and Jan Nowak, and Solidarity Leader and former President of Poland Lech Walesa.