Getting there

Passports & Visas

A valid passport is needed for travel to Poland. If you do not have a passport, you will need to apply for one.  If your passport is expected to expire within 6 months of your arrival in Poland, you must renew it before traveling abroad - Poland requires travelers to have a passport which is valid for 6 months following their return date.  Applications, instructions, and costs are available at your local clerk's of court, post offices, and at  Renew early to avoid service backlogs and expedited service fees.

Allow 4 to 6 weeks for the passport application process.  

It is recommended that you sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program found at Also, please read the Poland Travel Advisory, Safety and Security information on the Country Information page, Crime and Safety Report, and Traveler's Checklist.  You may also wish to follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.  In addition, it will be worthwhile to check the site periodically for Emergency Notifications and Global Health Advisory postings related to the COVID-19 virus.  Please see> Travel Advisories>Poland Travel Advisory.    

Visas to Poland for tourist travel by U.S. citizens are not needed. Tourist travel is defined as travel which does not exceed 90 days. If you intend to stay in Poland for 90 days or more call the Polish Consulate nearest you for instructions on obtaining a visa.  The above link includes links to Polish Consulates in the US and information about applying for a visa.  

Flights to Poland 

Applicants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to Poland. 

Travel Arrangments

The dates listed for the John Paul II Catholic University, Lublin and the Jagiellonian University, Krakow are arrival and return dates.  If you book your flight on-line or make arrangements through your own travel agent, please make plans to arrive at the university dormitory on the arrival date for your program.  The return dates listed are the final dates of programs - no classes are held on these dates.  You must vacate your dormitory room by 10 a.m. on the return dates listed.      

Railway and Train Information 

If you expect to travel by rail/train from points in Europe to Poland or within Poland you are likely to travel to or through the main station in Warsaw, Warszawa Centralna (Warsaw Central).  The main train stop in Krakow is Krakow Glowny (Krakow - Main Station) and in Lublin it is Lublin or sometimes referred to as Stacja Lublin (Lublin Station).   Take a taxi from the station to the dormitory.  The taxi ride will take about 5-10 minutes. Here's the link to PKP (Polskie Koleje Panstwowe) (Polish National Railways) for railway information and schedules in Poland:  This site is in Polish only.

Bus transportation within Poland - City to City 

If you expect to travel by bus within Poland (city to city), there are two bus options available to you : 

The first is PKS (Przedsiebiorstwo Komunikacji Samochodowej) (Motor Transport Company) .  For information please see  The site is in Polish.  As you begin to type in city names, the Polish city names with diacritical marks will pop up.  Be sure to select the proper Polish spellings for your starting point and destination. 

The second is Polski Express (Polish Express).  The site is available in English and a number of other languages.  Here is the link to the site:

Municipal Transporation 

Ticket prices for local municipal transportation in the city of Krakow will be found here: This site is available in Polish, English and German - click on the Union Jack icon on the upper right hand corner of the page. 

Ticket prices for local municipal transportation in the city of Lublin will be found here:  You will find bus schedules as well as bus maps on this site.  The site is available in Polish.  

Deadline for copies of Passport ID pages: May 22nd


<< Return to Summer Study Abroad