Graduate Studies and Research Grants
Scholarships are awarded for:
1. Graduate and postdoctoral research in Poland
2. Teaching Fellowships
3. Undergraduate and graduate full-time studies at Polish public universities
There are no restrictions to fields of studies and research.
This scholarship is awarded under the auspices of the Kosciuszko Foundation’s Exchange Program with Poland and Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange (NAWA).
The scholarship includes 1,800 PLN per month from NAWA as well as $400 per month from the Kosciuszko Foundation. The scholarship is paid out in installments after arrival in Poland.
The Studies & Research scholarship does not cover the cost of tuition nor airfare to Poland.
Studies and Research projects may be conducted from July 1st, 2023 through June 30th, 2024, at public universities and institutions of higher learning in Poland.
This scholarship cannot be combined with any other Polish government supported scholarship.
The grant is for stays of a minimum of 3 months.SELECTION CRITERIA
Selection is based on academic excellence, motivation, and the need to pursue studies and research in Poland.
Complete the online application form.
Prepare your supporting materials in advance and have Items 1 to 6 ready to upload when completing the on-line application form. Item 8 applies only to Graduate Studies applicants and should be sent separately.
Supporting materials include:
Item 1 – A photo of yourself, which is suitable for publication such as a portrait photo or headshot which is 2 inches x 2 inches.
Item 2 – A scan of your U.S. passport ID page or a birth certificate. University diplomas and language certificates. Save documents to one file.
Item 3 – University diplomas and language certificates.
Item 4 – Curriculum Vitae (C.V.). The Curriculum Vitae describes academic credentials and demonstrates a record of scholarly achievements. When composing a Curriculum Vitae, it is essential to include:
- Education (universities attended, degrees earned, and dates received)
- Professional positions held
- Courses taught and other services provided to students and the home institution
- Publications (provide full citations and list them starting with the most recent)
- Other professional activities, such as workshops, seminars and consultations
- Membership and activities in professional associations
- Professional honors, awards and fellowships
Item 5– Research proposal or essay
For candidates who intend to conduct studies in Poland: Upload an essay on why do you want to study in Poland. Be sure to list the name of the university, faculty/department, intended major/studies, and your academic and career goals. Your essay should be 2-3 pages long.
For candidates who intend to conduct research in Poland: Upload a detailed proposal of your research project. Your proposal should be a maximum of five pages, double-spaced.
Item 6 – Invitation or admission letter. You must secure your placement or affiliation. The KF does not assist in establishing contacts. You can only submit one host letter unless your research involves conducting it in more than one institution. The letter can include as much information as the department or faculty host wishes to include. However, certain information is required.
For candidates who intend to conduct studies in Poland: Upload a certificate of enrollment in your studies. The certificate should confirm your enrollment status as an International Student, financial conditions of your study program such as access to dormitory housing, use of facilities, funding, etc.
For candidates who intend to conduct research in Poland: Upload a letter of invitation from the host institution. The letter of invitation must include 1) the feasibility of your research plans at the host institution 2) the start and end dates of the research period and 3) the extent and limitation of the host university’s support during your stay such as access to dormitory housing, use of office space, libraries, labs, studios, etc. Original letter must be signed and on official letterhead.
Item 7 – $50 non-refundable application fee. At the end of the application form, you will be asked to make a payment via PayPal or debit/credit card.
Item 8– Only applies to candidates who intend to conduct studies in Poland: submit official transcripts of credit for 3 years of academic work. This document should have an official signature and stamp from your school or faculty. There are two ways you can send us the transcripts: 1. Mail transcripts to:
The Kosciuszko Foundation
Attn. Malgorzata Dymkowska
15 East 65th Street,
2. Go to your student account online and request a Secure Electronic PDF Transcript be sent to ExchangetoPoland@thekf.org via their electronic delivery service. Secure Electronic PDF Transcripts must be sent directly from your college/university’s electronic delivery service.
Secure two recommendation letters and have your recommenders send them directly to:
Requirements of a Recommendation letter:
- The authors should be the two individuals who can best speak to your ability to carry out the project being proposed; they should discuss your intellectual and professional preparation.
- At least one of the letters must be from an individual with academic rank of Professor (i.e. Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor).
- Letters should be addressed to the Kosciuszko Foundation Academic Advisory Committee.
- Anyone who serves as a recommender may not also provide the applicant with an invitation letter.
- References from relatives are not permitted.
- The KF does not accept recommendation letters after the application deadline, which is March 21st, 2023.
- The letter should be submitted as a PDF file.
Recommendations sent by the candidate will not be considered.
Ask to be added to the “Studies & Research” mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.
Deadline date: March 21, 2023 Scholarship Notification: Results are usually available in late May. Changes in Contact information: If your contact information changes after application submission, please forward your new contact information (a new address, e-mail, and/or phone number) with dates of validity to email@example.com. When the on-line application period is closed: Ask to be added to the “Studies & Research” mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open. ____________________________________________________